Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Visit to CB1 Gallery–Ardeshir Tabrizi

Paintings and Notes. Work by Ardeshir Tabrizi. The art did not stand out for me. The paintings/drawing are well executed. I do enjoy seeing good drawing skills and art with a lot of patterning. I write about it here because I got to take home a dandy 16 page booklet. It has been sitting on my desk for weeks.
Ardeshir Tabrizi, cover of booklet.
The booklet could also be called a catalog. This week, art coach Alyson B. Stanfield shared a blog post encouraging artists to make catalogs of their work periodically. Read about it here.
 
Should artists share their sketch books in a gallery setting? Ardeshir Tabrizi not only framed some of the pages of his sketchbook, he also printed them in the booklet that was given away to interested patrons of the gallery.

I question if the sketchbook is a "sketch" once it is brought into the gallery. It brings up for me public vs. private domain of art production. Is a sketch for the eyes of the artist and/or fabricators only, or are they also relegated to the gallery setting as: Art? I have no answer to this question. Below are some pictures of the booklet.
Ardeshir Tabrizi
Ardeshir Tabrizi

I like the raw feeling of the sketch pages. I was fortunate enough to be invited to the backroom of this gallery to see other works by this artist. The backroom work was better, I thought. I was and am grateful for the peek behind the scene at CB1 Gallery.

Please consider posting your ideas about:

Do sketches belong in galleries?
Have you considered making a catalog of your own work?

No comments:

Post a Comment