Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Woman With A Mandolin

I painted for 7 hours straight with a live Costumed Model in a workshop taught by Karen Lynn Ingalls recently. Karen’s blog is: http://karenlynningalls.blogspot.com. This workshop was my first ever chance to paint with a live model. 
I loved hearing the other people scrapping paint or chatting quietly. I enjoyed the workout of trying to get everything down that I could see and feel in a pre-determined time frame. I knew I had to capture the energy and the calmness of the pose during the class because it would all go away when class ended. Woman with a Mandolin represents 3 solid hours of the workshop, painting non-stop capturing everything I could, including adding some of what wasn't even there. I suppose this is a bit how plein air painters feel as well – capture it or else, you don’t. I started by representing colors the way they were but then, I didn’t. The model didn't seem to mind her blue hair when she saw herself. The canvas size is 24 x 48.  
Our model was Lindalou, she and her husband, Michael Ryge, are singer/songwriters - playing folk/Americana music. They've got a website, where you can also listen to downloads of their music, at http://www.lindalouandmichael.net/ They often play around Calistoga, CA and are definitely local favorites.



No comments:

Post a Comment