Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Art as Community Engagement

Pearls come from an irritant that gets into an oyster shell as the oyster tries to protect itself it grows a beautiful pearl over time. An artist that I greatly admire works with women to help them heal from an irritant in their life - domestic violence - from bruises to battery, emotionally inflicted pain, or sexual abuse and more.

Tiny Pearl.
Image from Internet search.



Her project is called Pearls of Wisdom and her name is Kim Abeles. I first met Kim at a College Art Association conference where she gave a talk about her work. I was mesmerized. I was so pleased to see an artist creating with and for others and adding hope to the lives of the women that participate in her workshops.

Recently I was at Skirball Cultural Center for a different show. I realized as soon as I walked into the entrance atrium of the museum that I would be having a well planned experience. Skirball is one of those museums that did not spare expenses on the materials they used to create the building as well as landscaping the grounds. I believe that they expect their visitors to have an uplifting experience.

On the walls in the open space of the entrance and cafe, I saw large pearl-shaped works resting on silk cushions and linked to one another by ribbon. Almost as soon as I saw them I realized that I was looking at the work of women who worked with Kim Abeles. I am sorry that I did not take pictures.

However, I urge you to please take the time to view the web site of a Window Between Worlds that sponsored Pearls of Wisdom, you will be glad you did.

The show at Skirball Cultural Center will only be up for a few more days - if you want to see the pearls in person visit soon - ends May 20, 2012.

You can also view a video of Kim encouraging you to make your own pearl. Being informed helps build momentum for change.


No comments:

Post a Comment