Sunday, May 6, 2012

Field Trip: Idea Gathering at the Port of LA

I visited the Port of Los Angeles. Can I just say one thing? The place is enormous. I wish there was a word that I knew that meant bigger than enormous – maybe monstrous works?

Entry to the Port - or at least one of the entries.



I had been to Napa Pipe many times before to sketch and photograph the abandoned warehouses and supplies left behind from a large company gone amuck. Napa Pipe used to be a business that employed my grandfather, but times change and the business moved away. Now I realize, Napa Pipe is like a minnow to a killer whale. The whale of course being the Port of LA.


I think maybe in the hour I spent driving around, taking pictures, getting out of my car, taking more pictures – I think maybe I saw 1/10 or less of the Port of LA. We bring a lot of goods in and out of the USA through this port that is for sure!

Tanks for storage of fuel?

I really enjoy looking at the natural decay of urban commerce and this was an excellent place to visit to fuel my interests. I'll go back for sure.


The only other tid-bit I'd like to share is that I was stuck waiting for a train when I was ready to leave that was so long it took 17 minutes for it to pass by. I stood up in the door of my car took some more pictures and put my lunch on the roof of my car and ate standing and watching as train after train roared on by. Some old, some newer all with different company names emblazoned on the sides interspersed with some graffiti here and there.
The first minute of the 17 minute train.

Graffiti and Grid overlay.

Since I am an abstract painter I am not sure if you'll ever recognize the trains, cranes and storage areas in my paintings but now you'll know one of the places I go on a field trip.
An old brick circular building - so out of place!

Signs stand like sunflowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment