Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Studio Visit - Laura Karetzky

While I was in New York recently I had the opportunity to visit the studio of a former classmate Laura Karetzky in DUMBO. She hails from my Carnegie Mellon University days (1980's). I would have loved to photograph her her studio - but ALL of her work was new for an up coming show and she did not want the public to see the work - yet.

Laura works on the second floor in a studio in the back corner of an old brick building on Jay Street. When I walked in, there was a large bank of windows straight ahead overlooking the Brooklyn bridge with just a tad of the river in sight. Underneath the bank of windows was a couch and some chairs, where we sat to talk. To the right of the entry she had two easels, one with a large painting in progress. To the left was her desk and a second in progress painting on a wall.

On the wall just inside the door I could just as easily have been looking at a gallery wall as a studio wall because several smaller scaled paintings lined the wall all in a perfect neat row, gingerly telling their stories. In the middle of the room was the largest glass pallet I have seen to date (about 6 x 4 feet) with a second table nearby with brushes carefully lined up and organized by size and shape.

Down the hall into the studio was floor to ceiling shelving holding all sorts of necessary items to run a successful studio practice; Packing supplies, back up paints, tape, books, and more. A shared sink was a bit of a walk down wide hallways near the shared restrooms.

I had a delightful time catching up with Laura and hearing about her escapades of life after college. Thank you so much Laura for having me into your studio. I look forward to visiting you when the beautiful, detailed new secret paintings come to the West Coast to be viewed by the public at Lora Schlesinger Gallery in Santa Monica.

1 comment:



  1. Look into my website how real estate investing works ()

    ReplyDelete