Friday, May 25, 2012

Crafting a Life, Part 3

Crafting a life takes numerous trials and errors and a lot of practice. Much like painting.
Studio Study, Acrylic on Paper


A few weeks ago I began to research my thoughts on Craft and why it has held such low esteem in the Art World. These things are true as I continue to ponder them from two previous blogs Crafting a Life and Crafting a Life Part 2.






 I crafted as a child. I designed as a livelihood. I make art because I can. I made art as a child. I paid my bills by design. Crafting a life. Artful living
Image from life-style blog


I’ll share one last story. During an Open House that I attended in 2002 for a prestigious private Kindergarten for my first-born I remember the Art Teacher saying: “I teach Art, never craft.” She said it in such a way that craft was like a four-letter word. That was ten years ago and I would still like to ask her if she believes that craft is inferior to art. 
What’s funny is that her statement was like a call to action for me, that night I decided that within five years I would teach children art in a private school and work from a different viewpoint. I did. I began an Art Program in a neighboring Catholic school. 
Eric Carle Workshop, Day 1
To wrap this all up, I’d have to say as I move my way into the Contemporary Art World I may have to tread lightly or I may not. Some people really believe in uplifting craft and some people believe in uplifting art. 
I can imagine I would enjoy being in a situation were the two camps are debated further. I can imagine trying to make work that would bridge the gap so that I put myself in the conversation. Reading the essays in Extra/Ordinary has made me acutely aware of how much I want to keep making things of value and maybe, just maybe I am beginning to understand that there is a need for paintings on walls as well as quilts on beds. 
Even though I am a painter, I have always had this nagging feeling that we don’t really need another painting, but if I can combine craft and art on canvas then I may need my painting.
Studio shot of an unfinished painting still being crafted.

No comments:

Post a Comment