Monday, May 21, 2012

Patterns on Patterns

I have some new work happening in my studio. The work is a combination of collage, painting like a house painter and painting as a print maker would.

Studio Shot - Suzanne Utaski Gibbs, 60 x 24, Acrylic, paper, canvas on panel.



I begin with a wood panel. I cut up lots of bits of canvas and paper. I get the gesso out - I purchase a gallon at a time. Using gesso and the bits and pieces I create the initial layers.
Detail of collage items, about 2x2 inch squares and a bit of a paper coaster.

Detail of collage items, about 2x2 inch squares.

This process takes about 5 to 9 layers of thinly applied gesso so that the objects I am collaging are tightly adhered without any bubbles or messy edges.

 Then I mix huge quantities of acrylic paint and apply the paint with a sponge roller - a lot like a house painter would do for details and touch-ups. I love Nova Paint they make their acrylic in a consistency much like house paint and they carry a huge range of colors. A little paint goes here and there as I build the composition.

The printmaking layer is very much like hard labor. I have a 6 foot by 3 foot piece of 1/2 inch plywood that is covered with the stuff Home Depot sells to put under carpets so that area rugs stay put. I once again mix a huge quantity of paint and cover my plywood-carpet-backer-printing tool with paint. With my painting on the floor I lay the plywood-carpet-backer-printing tool on my painting precisely where I want it and then the fun part - I walk on it! Carefully.


I pick-up my plywood-carpet-backer-printing tool and take a look. Usually I need to do this process twice so that I can really get the patterns on patterns image that I am looking for.



 I would love to know what you think about these. Post a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment