Monday, May 28, 2012

Nothing and Everything

Ah, summer reading in the arts or philosophy? What is your poison? The Critic As Artist by Oscar Wilde was my most recent read. I purchased a used version of the book that was printed back in 1997 and it is about 4 x 5 inches - easy to take with me on my recent travels.


The full title is: The Critic As Artist: With some remarks on the importance of doing nothing and discussing everything. How do I tell you, dear reader, about a book that has much to do about nothing. What can I say to entice you to read? 

Is it better to be an artist who reads critiques about art or a critic who looks at art and writes?

I spent well over an hour reading this little gem while enjoying a garden swing in Hawaii on a beautiful morning - yes essentially doing nothing and preparing to discuss everything.

What I'd like to do is present a few key quotes. Maybe then I can build up interest for reading this classic that was originally published in 1888. No, not a typo - 1888.

 A few quotes:

"The opinions, the character, the achievements 
of the man, matter very little."

"When people talk to us about others they are usually dull. When they talk to us about themselves 
they are nearly always interesting."

"Beauty has as many meanings as man has moods. 
Beauty is the symbol of symbols. Beauty reveals everything, because it expresses nothing. When it shows us itself, it shows us the whole fiery-colored world."

"If you wish to understand others 
you must intensify your own individualism."

"The necessity for a career forces everyone to take sides. 
We live in the age of the over-worked, 
and the under-educated; the age in which people are so industrious that they become absolutely stupid."

Do any of these quotes provoke a thought about nothing? Do the topics I bring up here have relevance to today? Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment