Thursday, June 21, 2012

Book review: Jeffrey Vallance, Desk Job

Jeffrey Vallance found my Blog and read my last post about his book: The World of Jeffrey Vallance. He posted a comment which was very nice thing to do. Thanks Jeffrey! 

Unfortunately, his comment has given me stage fright. I promised my readers a follow-up review. I had actually forgotten that I wrote that I would do an additional review. But then a real live PUBLISHED author read my review. Yea, I'm flipping out. A little. Ok, ok I am grateful for the reminder.

I found my notes buried under other paperwork on my desk. It is funny now that I think about it. My desk is not working for me. I need a desk job. For weeks I had this note to myself:
"stuff about this texas art piece"
My notes that had been buried under other work.

What Mr. Vallance did was set up an office-type environment in a gallery in Texas. He had a desk, chair, computer...you know the works that can be found in an office. He did this in his own version of what an office space might look like in a typical Texas office. Then, Mr. Vallance sat in his office in the gallery for a duration. 

In his book he wrote about this art project and called it Desk Job.

The office that he created essentially became a fish bowl. People looked in. People stopped in to talk to him. He sat at his desk in the gallery.

My studio is a fish bowl. I guess that is why I could relate to what Mr. Vallance created.

That's me, my son took the picture for me. He is outside. I am sitting in my studio at a desk.
I work in a sleepy town in Southern California. Sleepy, but very pleasant. People stop by once in a while and I sell some of my greeting cards to them. We chat. Sometimes I am grateful for the distraction. Other times I close the shades.

Studio Storefront.
Is Jeffrey Vallances' performance/installation piece worthy of a blog post? Well, I guess it is because here I am writing it. I suppose that Desk Job has likely already been extensively written about back when it actually happened. I wonder is the idea behind it still valid? Questioning the workplace.

I question: am I in a performance installation when I am at work in my studio? Until I read Desk Job I had never thought about how odd it is that I chose to work in the public's view. I have a strong work ethic and I love the idea of "opening up shop" when I come into work. My studio set-up never seemed strange to me until I read Desk Job. I guess I am strange or Jeffrey is–if it matters.

There are entire websites devoted to selling desk and office gadgets - anything to get your mind off of work. When I sat down to work today this website called Art Bistro had sent me a promotional e-mail for office toys. If we all worked at a storefront none of us would need gadgets and toys, instead we would be able to put off working by communicating with other people. Imagine that.

My performance/installation is working for me. So far I have sat or worked in my "Desk Job" longer than Jeffrey Vallance did in his. I have had this set up for over a year now. I guess maybe it is time I wrote about Suzanne Gibbs The Artist is Present*.

*This is in reference to those who have not yet seen: MARINA ABRAMOVIĆ THE ARTIST IS PRESENT a documentary of her performance in New York's' MoMA.

Why do we call Desk Job an installation performance art piece? Did Mr. Vallance have a big enough message in his execution of the Desk Job? I am not sure. I did not get to see the installation/performance in person. 

I wonder, will my next studio will be in a closed-door building? Or will I look for a studio in a not-so-sleepy town and expect even more on-lookers? Time will tell. 

Jeffrey, thank you for provoking questions in my practice. In this way, you rock! The garbage man just waved at me as he took my garbage away.


4 comments:

  1. Nicely present, and garbage-centered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing the "Office" piece was strange because I usually spend my time alone in the studio. Being exposed to people all day wore me out. The piece was just about switching places. And YES, you can be "art" too if you label it as such. Art and life are one and the same. Someone once said, anything one does with the "intention" of it being art is art.

    I recommend that you read my new book: I wrote a BIBLE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not like working alone, at least not all of the time. I always get more work done when I have others around, in this way a storefront works for me.

      I will look for your book The BIBLE, thanks.

      Delete