Friday, June 8, 2012

Brea Gallery - Something Superbly Small, Part 3

As our houses get smaller and life gets crazier - who can resist tiny fun artwork? I know I can't.

The show called Something Superbly Small in the Brea Art Gallery is fun to view. Many of the pieces required a magnifying glass to get a closer look. Below I share with you two paintings, some work that feels more like toys than art and some Styrofoam and Sharpie pen art work.


Norma Jean Squires, Fragments 1 & 2, Acrylic on Wood Panel

I wrote about this show twice before: Part 1 and Part 2. This will be my last installment, I think.

Joseph Chiang, Mini Wood Bot Sculpture, 2012, detail

Joseph Chiang, Mini Wood Bot Sculpture, 2012

Some more little mini toy-like pieces. Does your desk need a few of these?

Pearson - Maron, various monsters, 2012, ceramic
While my photographs of these little monster creatures leaves much to be desired, you can view more of Pearson-Maron's work on Etsy.

Alisha Harms, 35 owls, 2012, Felt, detail
You cannot imagine how cute these little guys are, and you can purchase these too on Etsy!

Alisha Harms, 35 owls, 2012, Felt

While some of the work in this show was not worth photographing or talking about I would still recommend a quick visit if you find yourself nearby.

Cheeming Boey, da yu chi siao ren, 2009, Sharpie on Styrofoam Cup
Having done just a little research on the artists who presented their work in Something Superbly Small and realizing that more than one artist sells on Etsy, I must say the lines of fine art and fun art are blurry. I for one think that's great. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment