Sunday, June 24, 2012

Building up to Art as Work

A list of things I am grateful for as well as things that influence the work that I do. In no particular order. What would your list look like? What influences the life you live?

Suzanne Gibbs, 2011. Oil on Canvas. Study of Georgia O'keeffe, My Shanty, Lake George, 1922.


Married 20 years on 09/2012.
Mom of two boys.
My Parents - alive and married since 1964.
One of three siblings.
The oldest of my siblings.
Both sets of my grandparents stayed married over 50 years–for life.
I worked as a stay-at-home parent for 15 years–I still do, to some extent.
More of us should consider the value of parents and parenting.
I wonder what would happen if children's voices were more highly valued and considered.
I have owned lots of houses.
I have lived in even more than lots of houses. See below.
I am white and female.
My family has been a huge influence on my decisions.
I have lived in over 30 homes - you know, where I get mail at that address for a time.
People close to me live in or near the 1%.
What is a traditional career?
Others climb the corporate ladder.
I value stability and flexibility equally.
I paint.
I do things for fun.
I value my health.
Intellectual rigor is important to me.
In all my moves, one thing stayed constant–I brought my art supplies with me, even when it meant selling beds, couches or the like. Ask my husband, he'll tell you.
Can human equality exist?
Do we pay enough attention to human rights?
Do we pay enough attention to how we live?

"The Shanty" by Georgia O'Keeffe, similar to the image I produced above, greatly interests me. She painted it to look "dull and dreary" like "the mens' work of the time." 

When she was invited to do a show in New York a few months later, she was encouraged to put this piece in the show alongside her more colorful and seductive work. The only piece that sold during the duration of the show was, you guessed it, "The Shany."

Besides that story, I love the piece because she painted in the building represented in the image. When she and Stieglitz moved up to upstate New York to spend the summers there, she wanted a place to work. She asked Stieglitz if she could clean out and update the little building. He said sure, as long as she did not spend any money.

She rounded up a group of neighbors. They helped her to fix it up to be her studio. Collaboration and team work are awesome!

She found a place to call home, away from home–to work. Yea for her!

Suzanne Gibbs, 2011. Oil on Canvas. Variation of Study of Georgia O'keeffe, My Shanty, Lake George, 1922.

No comments:

Post a Comment