Monday, June 18, 2012

Encaustic Workshop - Day 4

I am continuing to search for clarity and direction in my work as I work towards my MFA. From this encaustic workshop I learned a plethora of new ways to paint with molten wax. All the ideas and techniques made my head spin. I have many new things that I want to try.

Encaustic is an extremely versatile art form. Hopefully over the summer months I will be able to introduce and excite some readers about painting with molten wax. I will document my explorations as much as possible.

Below I show a small sample of our last days work together.

A classmate working on a pallet collage.

Adding pigment to wax with chalk pastels.

Creating sculptural surfaces with molten wax.

Creating forms with molten wax that can then be added to encaustic art work.

Fusing sculptural items.

Suzanne Gibbs, 2012. Carved wax with pigment added (blue lines) and poured wax forms (black and white).
Suzanne Gibbs, 2012. There is no end to how many layers of wax - it can become sculptural.

Suzanne Gibbs, 2012. Selection of works from Day 4.
Finishing touches.
Time to clean up!
Some of us worked until the very last minute.

Merilee B Allen, 2012.  In progress woven rice paper and mono printed encaustic paper.

In the past 4 days I shared bits of what I learned about encaustic painting.
Day 1, Day 2, Day 3.
 
To learn more about painting in encaustic please refer to Wax Works West. A school dedicated to encaustic painting located on the west coast in California.


2 comments:

  1. love this post - love seeing the process and the different intersting things that are being used!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki - Thank you. Yes it was amazing we were given so many ideas to work from. If you want to know more check out Daniella Woolf's book: The Encaustic Studio. It has many of the lesson that we went through.

    ReplyDelete