Friday, July 6, 2012

Beacon Arts Building - Lineamenta Show

The closing for Lineamenta show was on Sunday, 6/24 at the Beacon Arts Building. I am sorry to post AFTER the event, but I feel I must. A few of the pieces have stuck in my mind. 

First of all here is the information about the show:

Beacon Arts Building presents Lineamenta, an exhibition to examine and expand on the definition of drawing. This group of work by different artists from Los Angeles to Geneva seeks to redefine drawing, not as an abstract means to an end but as a finite genre, encompassing many different types of media. Drawing is commonly understood as a vague plan or a sketch of an idea for something else. It is this limbo of undefined territory that the work in this show will inhabit, placing drawing in the spotlight as finished work, using sculpture, video, installation and both traditional and unusual drawing techniques throughout the gallery. 

Artists included are: China Adams, Steven Bankhead, Fay Ray, GeoVanna Gonzalez, Kate Harding, Doug Harvey, Flora Kao, Jed Lind, Nuttaphol Ma, Jessica Minckley, Sandeep Mukherjee, MA Peers, Antoine Roegiers, Leigh Salgado, Amy Sarkisian, Lisa C Soto and Tim Youd. 

I was told that Lineamenta was curated by Renee Fox

Below is a smattering of the pieces that caught my attention. I deeply apologize to the artists who's work I photographed, I forgot to take note of their names. If you are the artist and you see your work here, please do not hesitate to contact me so that I can add your name and correct my error.

This first photograph is a huge drawing on paper tacked to the wall. It suggests personal body parts, but one is hard pressed to know if either one of the parts of the drawing is male or female genetalia.

This piece is huge. Approximately 6 feet tall by 15 feet long.

Isn't it amazing that even with a quick iPhone photograph the drawing looks like skin and hair?
Detail of above work. 

I am not sure exactly the intent of this next work. For me, a markation of time and quantity came to mind, but also line and repetitive pattern. I looked at the work on a post that is structural to the building, a wall near the post and a window that was also a door to the gallery. I liked that I had to walk around to capture all the pieces of this "drawing."
 
Detail of work below.


The above work was a drawing installation that traveled around the room,
making the viewer walk around to make connections.
 

In another room of this show there was a video of a woman that captured my attention. The face was beautiful and the sound was not. I believe it was included in a show about drawing  because the entire loop of the move was one take, thus a line with no cuts or stops.


If you have a chance, visit the Beacon Arts building. I have seen two shows there now and both were worth my time to drive the 45 minutes plus from Orange County.


The current exhibition is:
Constructing Fantasy
Sculpture from Los Angeles
Jun 30 – Aug 5, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment