Friday, July 20, 2012

Culver City Field Trip, Zhu Jinshi

Below are my impressions of the following art. The work is by Zhu Jinshi and was on exhibition at Blum & Poe earlier this year.

The number one aspect that has stuck with me and has decidedly made me feel it is worth mentioning in my blog, is that Zhu Jinshi uses A LOT of paint. I do believe these pieces will take upwards of 75 years to dry, if they ever do. They are created in oil and range in size from13 x 8 feet to 24 x 24 inches.

They are very ugly. However, the work did make me think about the materiality of paint. What can paint do? How heavy does paint become in large quantities (the canvases were sagging from the weight in most instances)? The paint appears like lard mixed with sand or dirt in color on canvas. In parts the paint looked like swollen flesh. These paintings are insanely bloated. Other than the fact that they hang on canvas on a wall, they may as well have been sculpture made of paint.







Yes, this is all paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment