Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A Few Philosophy Words Related to Art Production

Simulacra–copy of a copy of a copy, reality or not, whether the first version is real or not is unimportant.
Suzanne Gibbs, 2007. Pear. I made this image using a picture of a print of a pear from a magazine and a greeting card with a water color image of a pear. I made it into my version of a pear as a diptych.

Self-Portraits–a study of a personal relationship to the larger cultural structure into which one was born.
Suzanne Gibbs, 1989. Acrylic. 24 x 18.
"I paint self-portraits because I am so often alone, because I am the person I know best."
Frida Kahlo
  Frida Kahlo - Self-Portrait with Thorn Necklace and Hummingbird (1940)

Human activity–constructed through: culture, ritual, repetition, conventions, relationships, stories, food, experience, and emotions.
Suzanne Gibbs, 2008. Watercolor resist on Paper.

Suzanne Gibbs, 2008. Watercolor resist on Paper. This one is not the same.

Semiotics - study of signs and the way they produce meaning.
  • socially semiotics become systems of organization
  • similar words: Icon, Index, Symbol
  • interestingly, these sigh systems are arbitrarily constructed–or are they–and usually determined by opposition
Suzanne Gibbs, 2010. Chair.

Suzanne Gibbs, 2005. Santa.

Suzanne Gibbs, 2006. Scuba.
 Simulacra and Semiotics–new words to me one short year ago, but I was using the concepts in my art production non-the-less.

No comments:

Post a Comment