Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy Wednesday: A Tie-Dye Adventure


Happy Summer. Happy 4th of July.

My oldest son wanted to tie-dye shirt and a pair of socks. I acquiesced. I had not used tie-dye in approximately 16 years. Coincidentally when I was pregnant with him. 

Unfortunately, I was too wrapped up in the experience of working with the kids to take photographs of the process of applying dye to the shirts and socks we made. However, I can show you the results. They are stunning, and I am bragging. We had so much fun!

Colby modeling Front of one of the shirts.

The Back.

Here are a few shots of the rinsing out portion of our activities.












Each piece was wrapped in a baggie overnight to soak in the dye.

This is the same one as shown above on Colby.

The bucket we put the rinsed pieces in to carry it to the washer.

Colby even did a button-down shirt. It looks fabulous on him!

I'd be remiss if I did not give a shout out to the Jacquard Tie Dye Kit  that made all of this possible. Thanks Amazon.



The kits recommend gloves for a reason. Colby had red-orange hands for a few days after the project was complete. In many ways this project felt like a vacation at home. Cate Prato wrote about this same idea in this article in the blog Cloth Paper Scissors.




I hope I have inspired you to try something new or something you have not done in a long while. You might just have fun!

Also, please write about or add pictures when you try a fun arts and crafts project at home. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment