Thursday, July 12, 2012

Book Review - The Death and Life Of American Cities

This summer I read "The Death and Life of American Cities" by Jane Jacobs in order to further the research needed to deepen my practice of understanding the anomalies I see in everyday random moments, the patterns of life upon our environment. Especially in cities and how they support the life we live. All that I see influences how I paint.


Can you imagine my surprise when I found out that my brother's wife's mother's aunt IS Jane Jacobs! We need more words for relatives, the way Mexicans do. My brother's mother-in-law's aunt, is that clearer?

Here is the excerpt of the moment when my brothers family member (and mine too by extension) realized the connection:

"Suzanne, did you know that my aunt, Jane Jacobs is noted widely as a heroine in the pursuit of building cities for people? You might look her up. Her best known book was The Death and Life of American Cities. Neighborhood walks are held all over the world to celebrate her philosophies, around her birthday. I just thought knowing she was a quasi-relative might reinforce your quest!
Jane (and Bob) was a big influence on me and my girls because we spent about every 6th weekend with her and my Uncle Bob, in Toronto, all the 13+ years we lived in Buffalo, until we moved in 1984. They lived in Greenwich Village when I was a kid, and we visited them there. Jane is my Mom's sister-in-law. (BTW, Mom will be 100 this year! Looks like we have longevity like you do!)
Check into the "Jane's Walk" (online). Iona and I went on one in May, in Cambridge, and my brother Robin and I went two years ago. There were several in Boston to choose from, and 8 in NYC! Amy went on one, this year, in Seattle.
A peak-a-boo picture through a fence in Los Angeles on Fairfax Avenue.
Possibly considered blight by others, to me this is Art!
And the shops in this area are fantastic.
We drive an hour to visit the Thrift Stores and other amazing shops in this area.
Their children live in Canada, and I often see some of them when visiting Amy and Steve, since the congregate in Vancouver, BC now and then! It means a lot to me that Jane's philosophy is meaningful to YOU!
My Uncle Bob was an architect, and primarily designed hospitals, again, trying to create an environment where people would be comfortable. He died in a hospital he designed. I visited him there, and with a big smile on his face, he said how lucky he was to be in such a lovely place to die. Hummmm. We should all feel that way about our environs.
The stickers make it quite clear that many people visit here. Fairfax Avenue in Los Angeles.

That makes me think of your theme of "no home." We search, I think for that comfort of what we think home should be. Jane had a larger concept. I find a lot of my work is done in warm tones, colorful, and with comfortable "domestic" topics... home. For many years my life was chaos, and I was terribly unsettled.
When my parents announced they were moving to FL (after I'd moved east to be near them), that was another jolt, but I made my first, comfy, home here, and love it. Now, I can move and realize that my home is where I am, and what I make it. I can leave if I want or need to. Thus the artwork. It freed me up, some, I think. Just thoughts provoked by your journey..."
Even the weeds like Fairfax Avenue in Los Angeles.

While I read the book by Jane Jacobs I felt like I was reading the words of a kindred soul. I wanted to tell her I believe you, wow, yes, tell me more...there are all sorts of ways to evaluate the patterns of life and the people who live in cities. 

Jane Jacobs' work was first published 50 years ago, however much of what she says still rings true today. At least it does for me. I am so thankful for her work. Next May I plan to attend a Jane's Walk. How about you?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, I've recently been looking for info approximately this topic for ages and yours is the best I've discovered so far.

    However, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you positive about the source?
    Look at my site where to download movies

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's very effortless to find out any topic on net as compared to books, as I found this paragraph at this site.
    Here is my weblog - welovedthis.com

    ReplyDelete