Friday, July 13, 2012

Marina Abramović - Documentary Review

I recently went to see: The documentary about the performance piece, The Artist is Present by Marina Abramović.


A picture of me and a friend Present in New York City on a beautiful morning.

When Marina describes the difference between performance art and acting I devoured her words. She has developed her own sense and sensibility about what she wants others to know about her life and art practice. I believe she said something about a performance artist using a real gun and an actor feigning death. Abramovic is nothing of not real.

I admire her work tremendously.

The first half of the documentary was full of tidbits of which young artists should take note.In thinking about the movie I visited a few other bloggers posts. Here is a blogger sharing an interview with Marina. One other blogger expounding on Marina's:
"current life's mission: moving performance art from its historic position on the fringes of the art world into the mainstream."

I am hopeful that she will reach her goals for herself. I do not recommend the documentary The Artist is Present. I would much rather see Marina perform in real time and in real life one day. I felt like it was the difference between reading the book versus watching a movie based on a book. I would rather read the book. I wouldn't mind another morning in New York on a balcony above it all with tea and a friend either.

No comments:

Post a Comment