Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pay Attention To What You Pay Attention To.

Clearly, where we put our focus is what we will materialize in our life. I am finding that in grad-school everything is what we make of it each day. What we choose to pay attention to manifests the results. Post-grad work will be a plethora of opportunities–or at least I sure hope so! 
Suzanne Gibbs, 2012. Linear Collage. Gesso, acrylic, gouache, tape, paper, and canvas on canvas.

Myths that I hate, Artists are:

poor.
loners.
weird.
replaceable.
crazy.
odd.
unreliable.
 

A Can Do Focus

The steps, as I see it, that can be taken to bust the myths.
Work the Art.
The business of art.
Work ethic.
Resiliency.
100% supportive people.
Understand and leverage the power of ideas.


I took the time to look up the artists that I feel are best symbolizing the above mentioned myth busters. Following is what I came up with.

Work the Art

“I follow my instincts and work on the projects that interest me, whether writing, painting, blogging...or something else. No one can anticipate where each project will lead – you just have to embrace the not-knowing.” Sharon Butler, 
Author of:
Two Coats of Paint and other publications, Artist and University Professor.
Sharon Butler, Untitled (detail), 2012
pigment, binder, pencil on unstretched linen
48 x 60 inches

The Business of Art 

“All my work is about what we want from art, what collectors want, what artists want from collectors, what museum audiences want.” Andrea Fraser, Artist, Performance Art, Writter, University Instructor
Andrea Fraser.

Work Ethic 

“I am the head of a team, a coach, a producer, an organizer, a representative, a cheerleader, a host of the party, a captain of the boat, in short, an activist, an activator, an incubator.” Gabriel Orozco, Artist and business owner, lives in two countries.
Gabriel Orozco. Yielding Stone (Piedra Que Cede), 1992. Plasticine and dust.

Resiliency

“I was supporting myself, but nothing like the guy painters, as I refer to them. I always resented that actually.. we were all getting the same amount of press, but they were going gangbusters with sales.” Cindy Sherman, Artist, Performmance photographer.
Cindy Sherman.

100% Supportive People

“I think about, the economics of collaboration.” Alexandra Grant, Painter, Collaborative Artist, Business Owner
Alexandra Grant. Studio Shot.

 Power of Ideas

“I just wanted to find out where the boundaries were. I've found out there aren't any. I wanted to be stopped but no one will stop me.” Damien Hirst, Artist, business owner, celebrity.
Damien Hirst.
 

Focus on a career in Art:

Work the Art.
The business of art.
Work ethic.
Resiliency.
100% supportive people.
Understand and leverage the power of ideas.
 
We all have the potential to be our own brand of artist.

My brand of artistic career contains the following:
Making Art
Teaching Art
Writing about Art


– And for some shameless self-promotion, if you are reading this blog thank you. If you really like the content consider subscribing (use the button to the top right). Alternately, if someone shared this post with you and you want to see more, go to my Blog at:
 
http://suzanneutaskigibbs.blogspot.com/
 
Most importantly, what did I leave out that any one of you might find highly relevant? Please share in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment